- Video Views: 97
- Published On: 2022-03-14 01:48:34
- Video Published/Author: New Zealand Institute of International Affairs
- Video Duration: 01:04:02
- Source: Watch on YouTube
Hosted by the New Zealand Institute of International Affairs with support from the UK High Commission in New Zealand.
This online event brings together space experts to discuss how international affairs are playing out beyond the Earth’s atmosphere.
The politics of outer space – Astropolitics – is rapidly growing in importance. Nation-states, businesses and other organisations are competing and cooperating in space to solve some of the world’s most pressing economic, security and environmental problems.
Aotearoa New Zealand has a disproportionately influential role in this, hosting world-class space businesses and engineering firms along with its own Government space agency, established in 2016. It is also working with other countries to manage space debris, limit militarisation and understand and address climate change.
The recent volcanic eruption in Tonga further demonstrates the importance of space in responding to disasters.
Hosted by Marçal Sanmartí, Researcher, New Zealand Institute of International Affairs. Panellists are:
– James Araci, Senior Science and Innovation Officer, British High Commission in New Zealand
– Emeline Paat-Dahlstrom, Co-Founder and CEO, SpaceBase
– James Renwick, Professor of Physical Geography, Victoria University of Wellington – Te Herenga Waka